The first bridge built between 1634 and 1642 was destroyed by flooding. It was rebuilt in wood time and time again until a Villebois stone version was finally erected in 1786. It was completed in 1807 and named Pont Tilsitt. It took three years to rebuild after it was bombed by the Germans on September 1, 1944. The bridge consists of three reinforced concrete arches overlaid with dressed stone from the quarry in Hauteville, which also supplied stone for the Empire State Building. The 12-m wide road flanked by two 4.50 m pavements connects St Jean Cathedral to the city’s main square, Place Bellecour. It took its current name - Pont Bonaparte – in 1964.
Source: Tourist Office