The Part-Dieu public library is the largest municipal library in France (27,700 m2) and welcomes more than one million visitors per year. With 3.5 million documents, its collections of manuscripts, incunabula, old books, artists' books, prints and photographs are the second largest in France after the Bibliothèque nationale de France. The history of the municipal library is rich and ancient: its origins go back to the 16th century with the decision of the authorities to entrust the management of the Collège de la Trinité to the Jesuits. From 1565 to 1762, the Jesuits contributed to the development of an important collection of books and manuscripts, which was enriched by numerous legacies.
The BML celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2022: it was built in 1972 by the architect Jacques Perrin-Fayolle.