Saint-Paul is one of Lyon’s oldest churches dating back to the 10th century.
It stands on the site of a 6th-century abbey and was rebuilt in various forms over the centuries. Its 12th-century octagonal cupola consisting of two superimposed domes is its most remarkable feature. It was listed as a historic monument in 1996.
The three-storey railway station built into the hillside dates from 1873. It included housing for railway workers. It was renovated in the 19th century as part of a major redevelopment plan for the district which had fallen into disrepair. The wide boulevard leading down to the river was added at the same time. The whole area was given a facelift in 2008.
Source: Gadagne Museums website